Tuesday 20 October 2009

For This Award I'd Like To Thank My Gran, Doctor, Goldfish, Hairdresser...



LUCKILY I HAD my tissues at the ready. Not that I was crying in that mascara-bleeding Beauty Queen OMG-I’ve-just-won or that out-of-control-for-once Gwyneth Paltrow accepting-an-Oscar kind of way. But I needed something to wipe the giant smile off my face.
Because I’d just been told I’d won not one but two awards for my blog. They’ve got special titles but I’m just going to call them Blog-Oscars and start thanking my hairdresser, stylist, my music teacher, the man down the road who just waved at me and dedicate it to my babies, my husband, my goldfish and Buttons the cat who died when I was at university. Don’t get me started on my inspiration…
This is the first time I’ve won anything for years.
I’ve been up for awards before during my career and spent the evening clutching friend’s hands under the table to calm my nerves.
I’ve bitten my lips until they nearly bleed but I’ve always come away with the same thing. Nada. Well nothing worth having. A runners-up certificate to go with all those highly commended gymkhana rosettes gathering dust in my mum’s cabinet.
She was a highly-skilled horsewoman when she was young and thought I’d naturally inherit her equestrian skills.
The only thing horsey about me were my bandy legs and my ability to go over a jump solo after my mare refused.
Still, I dusted myself down and tried again – something that’s proved to be useful ever since.
It’s what kept me going when I entered Blue Peter competitions and was the only one of my friends never to get a badge.
And it taught me resilience when I entered myself into a beauty contest at the age of nine and came nowhere after the audience and the judges thought I was a boy.
That’s when I decided to stop trying to be like everyone else and do the things I liked. So I started writing short stories and poetry.
My teacher Mr Sidney encouraged me and secretly entered them into national competitions. And guess what? I won one. OK, it was only a pen but I still treasure that today. And now I have something else to put into my ‘trophy cabinet’ and I can’t stop grinning. So a big thank you to Linda at 'You've got your hands full' for my ‘I love your blog’ award. The rules are I have to pass it onto 15 other blogs I like which are…drum roll…
And finally, another thank you (sob) to perfectly happy mum for the cool meme. The rule for accepting this is easy: One question - one word to answer. Difficult but fun:
Where is your mobile phone? table
Your hair? frizzy
Mother? feisty
Father? dead
Your Favourite Food: Italian
Your Dream Last Night: scary
Your Favourite Drink: fizz
Your Dream/Goal: security
What room are you in? kitchen
Your hobby: blogging
Your fear: pain
Where do you want to be in 6 years: beach
Where were you last night: home
Something that you aren't: lucky
Muffins: blueberry
Where did you grow up? sussex
Last thing you did: this
What are you wearing: jeans
Your TV: loud
Your pets: dead
Friends: loud
Your life: chaotic
Your mood: mercurial
Missing someone: paymaster general
Vehicle: tube
Something you're not wearing: tights
Your favourite store: bank
Your favourite colour: pink
When was the last time you laughed: saturday
When was the last time you cried? yesterday
Your best friend: dependable
One place you go to over and over: past
One person who emails you regularly: mr junk
Favourite place to eat: mcdonald’scarpark (does that count as one?)
And I happily pass it on to:


And if anyone has a Blue Peter badge they don’t want can they send it to me! 

1 comment:

  1. Blog Oscars - love it!
    Congratulations on the awards and thanks for passing one on to me x

    ReplyDelete